Tuesday, January 13, 2009

In the Darkest Depth

So, I've been trying to figure out a way to rig up an incubator (for when I get my micro kit). I ruled out the fish tank since I don't want to fry my babies, they're used to a steady 25 not 35. I don't own an electric heating pad...I prefer hot water bottles which won't keep an even temperature. Hmmmm.....I was wondering about this conundrum when my boss pipes up "We have an incubator." What??? We do??? So we ventured into the back closet, past the ancient cattle birthing equipment, past the 1920's torture instruments, past the dust and cobwebs and low and behold...an incubator!!!! I cleaned off the inch of dust bunnies...we DON'T treat that kind of rabbit at my clinic, and got it all set up. I'm excited to try it out tomorrow to see if it still works!!!

5 comments:

  1. Hello Marilyn,

    Congrats! I hope it works! We are trying to get ours fixed for me but it too has not been used in several centuries.lol Best of luck and let us know how it turns out.

    Have a great night!

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey

    That's an awesome story! My clinic is like that. There's a girl who's been here forever and keeps EVERYTHING.... things that will never, ever, ever be used again, but she always says "you never know". But sadly, that is one thing we never had 100 years ago and therefore there she doesn't have one for me to use. So sad!

    Good luck with the incubator!
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad that worked out for you. Storerooms are often scary yet valuable places. I have been in my position for 25 years and have such a storeroom, everyone knows to come to Carolynne for a bizarre piece of tubing etc. People have used containers sitting under the light over the stove, on top of water heaters. yogurt makers etc, I love to hear of all those creative ideas

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have ....."THE CRAWL SPACE"..because I'm pretty sure things "crawl" around down there! We have a tech that REFUSES to throw anything away since the clinic first opened in the old location....when there used to treat the cobble hill zoo animals. The zoo has long since been shut down (my boss said they had to treat two baby tigger cubs once and littel bear cubs too... :)) But our crawl space and all its weird reminants still exist. We have old cattle skulls down there and tons of old rads/log books/paint samples etc....because you never know :)
    -Manda

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think every clinic must have a room like that, we affectionately call our room 'the creepy hole'

    I think we have the first ever ECG machine in there.....lol. Why do we keep it....you never know if you'll need a back up...lol.

    Dee

    ReplyDelete