Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Black Week

I swear everyone in town decided this was the week to euthanize. We did a house call and the guy's girlfriend decided to do her dog at the same time. The kids were hysterically bawling and we had to deal with not one but two. It seems no matter how we steel ourselves it never gets easier. Then we got back to the clinic to euth a cat with very aggressive mouth cancer. Today we had 4 booked euths, 2 drop offs and 5 enquiries. The hardest was a collie with bladder cancer. We have had so much contact with her over the past few weeks. I even took blood from her myself for our log books. (we don't do jugular venipuncture on dogs due to the risks at our clinic so it's hard to get my tasks in) I'm so glad I have the next couple of days off!!!!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Marilynn,

    Sorry to hear about your week (day). Those types of weeks are the hardest. Enjoy your time off and hopefully next week will be better.

    Have a good night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey,

    Those weeks are so hard! I feel like at my clinic everything is dying and we're losing a lot of really close patients due to severe illness'. It's definately the worst part of the job. Go enjoy a few days off, you desreve it!!

    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    I think we can all relate to those days/weeks. Some weeks it seems we end more lives than we save. I think we need to look at the big picture when we have to euthanize a sick animal. In a way we are saving them. I believe we are saving them from a life (what they may have left) of pain and misery. In the wild, these animals would have become part of the food change. I know to some that I may sound cruel and insensitive (trust me, I'm the furthest from it!). But we have domesticated these animals, so the responsibility falls on people to set up to the plate and do the best for the animal, even if that means giving him/her a peaceful and humane passing. Anyway that is just my two cents worth on the topic.

    I'm curious though, what risks are there at your clinic that you don't usually do jug collection? Just wondering :)

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sympathize with you all, definitely the hard part of the job. If they are suffering you can find comfort that the suffering will end but as ongoing clients you develop a rapport with these animals so it is like saying good bye to a friend every time. Does anyone have any good advice they have received and could share for helping others with these weeks or days? I know sharing is always good and knowing you are not alone. Carolynne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to you next posting and hope it is more uplifting for you. How did your smile wall work out? It is such a great idea. Hang in there
    Carolynne

    ReplyDelete